Wasn't insecure about ODI future - Misbah

Pakistan captain Misbah-ul-Haq said his decision to retire from ODI and T20 cricket after the 2015 World Cup had been a difficult one to make and brushed aside suggestions that he chose to retire from limited-overs cricket after the World Cup due to uncertainty over his future in ODIs. On Sunday, Misbah had told ESPNcricinfo of his decision to retire from ODIs and T20s and focus only on Test cricket.
Misbah had informed the Pakistan Cricket Board of his decision last week. On Tuesday, Misbah, along with PCB chairman Shaharyar Khan, formally addressed the media. Misbah insisted that the impending retirement did not add any pressure for the World Cup and would motivate him to try and end his limited-overs career on a high note.
"Marking the World Cup as the last event isn't really a difficult decision," he said. "What was difficult was to make up my mind about how I will part myself from cricket which has been everything for me. I have always played cricket with passion and the game is top priority for me. The game, which you have played for almost 20 years with so much passion, it's not easy to leave it. I think everything which is in this world has to end. Why not take your own decision? I am happy that I have taken the decision.
"It's a wrong perception that I have taken this decision amid insecurity over my career after the World Cup. A few people might be thinking that I have no confidence in myself or in the board. They suspect that I will be dropped after the World Cup or removed as captain. It's not like that. I have always played cricket with a positive attitude. I've been planning this for quite some time and I was waiting for the right moment, and it is the right moment."
Misbah took over the ODI captaincy from Shahid Afridi in May 2011, after the 2011 World Cup. He had been appointed captain of Pakistan's Test side in October 2010. Misbah has been criticised for defensive tactics and a modest batting strike rate during his tenure, but he has also been an inspirational figure in the team, defying the odds both on and off the field to keep Pakistan cricket on track.
Misbah's age, 40, has also been a talking point although he is one of the fittest players in the team. Misbah recently missed three matches of the ODI series against New Zealand in the UAE due to a hamstring injury - his first-ever absence due to injury since he took over as captain. He has regained his fitness and cleared a test on Monday.
"It's a motivation for me. Since it will be my last tournament, I am preparing myself to give whatever I have to the team over the next 2-3 months," he said. "I will be pushing myself hard however I can, whether it is mentally, physically or skill-wise. As a team I desire and hope that we finish at the peak like we did in 1992. It's my wish and I will also try my best to achieve this.
"I want to thank the Almighty who helped me play for such a long time. I captained the one-day team for almost four years. I want to thank all my family members who supported me, the PCB who gave me confidence in every good and bad time and supported me as a captain. Thanks to all my fellow players, my team members, my coaches, my teachers, my fans, whosoever supported me to become a cricketer - even groundsmen, my departments, my teams, my regions, my divisions, my clubs. I am happy that I have reached a stage to take such a decision. I will have their support in the World Cup and will try to live up to their expectations."
Misbah refused to name a successor in the ODI leadership role and said he would leave that decision to the PCB.
"It's such a matter that I have openly given my advice to the cricket board and the chairman," he said. "I have said before in the media that I don't want to dishearten the players by naming any specific player. There are a lot of guys in the team who are sensible and understand cricket and can take Pakistan cricket forward. At this stage it's not good to name any specific player in public. I have also given my input to the PCB and now they are to judge and decide who is capable to lead Pakistan and then take a decision."
Shaharyar, applauded Misbah's services, and praised him for uniting the team.
"I have been manager of the team twice. I can tell you, from the bottom of my heart, that the unity which I saw in the team during Misbah's tenure I haven't seen it before. If you play with unity and play with sporting attitude then I think there will be success. You won't find anyone better than Misbah - he is matured, decent and very well-educated. He has taken criticism with his chin up, he is a star of Pakistan cricket."

Comments